On Thursday 18 April 2002 08:32, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

> root> I get the idea that this "list" isn't really effective enough
>
> Could you elaborate? This list tends to be very effective IMO. If your
> comment is related to the above message, then it seems indeed that we
> do not have enough greek users.

This list is extremely effective -- effective enough so that my first LyX
project was a 320 page book and it turned out beautifully. So I'm eternally
greatful to the effectiveness of the LyX list.

But as anything else, there is always room for improvement. If I had to
define my LyX "dream list", it would be one where more explanation is given,
and one where websites pointed to have more explanation given.

On our current LyX list, newbie questions seem to be answered perfectly, with
the correct amount of detail. But moderately difficult questions are often
answered with a few lines of LaTeX. While this is sufficient for the expert,
the new LyX user charged with modifying LyX's out of the tgz default behavior
has no idea where to put the LaTeX code, or what to do to get it
incorporated, or how to install a new package. Likewise, the "Tricks and
Tips" section of http://www.lyx.org also often assume that the readers know
these interface details. It would be cool if explanations could tell you:

* What file to put the Latex in (or doc preamble or whatever)
* Where in the file to put it
* What LyX changes to make in order to accommodate the LaTeX
* How to get your LyX environment to recognize the changes
* Examples

In other words, ideally there would be basic explanations for not-so-basic
changes to the default behavior.

In an attempt to do something like what's described above, several months ago
I made the "Writing Books with Lyx" website at
http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/lyx/. In cases where the above mentioned
questions are asked, you might want to refer people to that website.

In summary, the LyX mailing list is great, wonderful, and even spectacular.
But that doesn't mean it can't be even better.

Steve

Steve Litt
Author:
  * Troubleshooting Techniques of the Successful Technologist
  * Rapid Learning: Secret Weapon of the Successful Technologist
http://www.troubleshooters.com/bookstore/

Troubleshooters.Com Webmaster
(Legal Disclaimer) Follow these suggestions at your own risk.