Steve Litt writes:

  In an attempt to do something like what's described above, several months ago
  I made the "Writing Books with Lyx" website at
  http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/lyx/. In cases where the above mentioned
  questions are asked, you might want to refer people to that website.

This is a useful site, but it might more accurately be titled `Writing
Self-Published Books with LyX.'  Most trade publishers*, university
presses, and scientific publishers have quite specific guidelines for
manuscript submissions.  A few will accept camera-ready copy in
Postscript or PDF according to their design guidelines, or will accept
LaTeX submissions using their required templates.  Most expect
submissions in MS-Word or WordPerfect which can be used by their
copy-editing/indexing/typesetting software.  When you show up with a
beautifully typeset manuscript written with LyX, the most common
response is that if you cannot submit it in MS-Word, you should submit
ascii text, with spaces between paragraphs, and no other formatting.
That can be very frustrating if you have spent long hours polishing
the LyX output.

My last novel was written in LyX and was published by a trade
publisher (they typeset the book from hardcopy manuscript); the
narrative history I'm close to finishing and another novel in the
hands of my agent were also written in LyX.  I like LyX, and will
probably continue to use it, but it can be frustrating for books.
Because trade and university publication is a collaborative process
involving copy-editors, line editors, indexers, and others, publishers
aren't as impressed with LyX as we are.

* Trade publishers are those who publish for the general public, like
  Random House, Simon & Schuster, Knopf, etc.

--

Ronald Florence                 www.18james.com