>>To: Matej Cepl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>Subject: Re: Search Path for dvips
>>Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 11:54:15 -0700
>>From: Dave Tweten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>>>I do not know, why should this be done universally for LyX itself.
>>
>>Here's a reason.  If LyX is going to create directories whose name and whose
>>provided contents (in the case of /usr/local/share/lyx/clipart) suggest that
>>they are for commonly used graphic information, the directories should work.
>>You can't even use platypus.eps from the global file by default, and the LyX
>>distribution put it there!  For LyX's own documentation to work, the
>>installation has to put another copy of platypus.eps with the documentation
>>files.  If the directories are not going to be made to work within LyX, they
>>shouldn't be created by LyX at all.  It's that simple.
>>
>>>As I understand LyX it is not meant to be the tool for the most
>>>stupidiest user ...
>>
>>No offense taken.  :-)
>>
>>>For example, I do not want to have this done by deafult, because I
>>>think that ~/.lyx/clipart has nothing to do with my images which are
>>>somewhere else.
>>
>>A reasonable position.  Perhaps then LyX shouldn't create ~/.lyx/clipart when
>>you first run it.  Why create useless cruft whose only effect is to waste
>>users' valuable time?
>>
>>I don't really care if clipart is made to work or if it is removed, although I
>>guess I prefer made to work.  The important point is that being there and
>>working ought to be strongly linked.  You should get both or neither.
>>--

My feeling is that anyone willing to use LyX/LaTeX should be
aware anyway of the seach file mechanism and be able to tune it
by one of the desribed methods (texmf.cnf editing, TEXINPUTS setting,
\graphicspath for graphics users - those NOT using graphics should
be quite seldom :-)).

In that line, LyX copies at install time tex and clipart ditectories
in ~/.lyx by default, but also in /usr/local/share/lyx for global
access: it is clear that LyX can't know at that time if the
admin is by him(her)self and will
 - set TEXINPUTS to .:$HOME//:  (if not already set), appropriate
 if $HOME is not too big;
 - put /usr/local/share/lyx// in texmf.cnf
 - copy again averything into a approriate dir in the teTeX tree and
 run texhash...

Of course, this file finding mechanism should be clearly documented.
As I do not need it (I use the third method, whith sharing of the figures
in the htdocs area), I don't know, but Herbert's help must give some
hints I guess.

--
Jean-Pierre