On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 09:53:53PM +0200, Vinay Ramnath wrote:
> Ok, I'll remove my current installation of teTeX and install the one
> supplied with SuSE. I thought I'd better get the latest one, but if it
> doesn't work like that, I'll remove that. Is it safe to just remove
> /usr/local/teTeX/ with everything in it?

I don't know. I've never installed teTeX in any other way then as .rpm.
I think you would have to remove a few binaries from /usr/local/bin, too...

> >>formats. Also, I can't remove it, using rpm -e lyx*.
> >
> >What does 'rpm -qa | grep lyx' say?  'rpm -e lyx-exact-name' should work.
> >
> rpm -qa | grep lyx says nothing.

So it's not installed anymore according to rpm's thinking. So this is
either true, or the rpm database is broken.

> Also, rpm -e replies with package lyx not installed. I tried it before
> and I got some errors, but I forgot to write them down and forgot them,
> sorry, stupid indeed. However, it seems removed. At least, when I run lyx
> from command line, it replies with
> command not found.

Ok.

> So, if you think it is a good idea, I'll first remove /usr/local/teTeX/
> and its contents.

Try to figure out what else goth installed by tetex's install.sh and remove
this as well.

> Then I'll install an other teTeX package with YaST2 and
> then install the rpm of LyX 1.2.1, using rpm -Uvh --nodeps
> lyx-1.2.1-1.i386.rpm as described in the installation manual of LyX
> 1.2.0.

Exactly.

Andre'

--
Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security,
will not have, nor do they deserve, either one. (T. Jefferson)