See attachment. Is this waht you mean a nested list?
I made it with Lyx 1.1.6fix4, making a list environment, typing 5 lines and
then press alt-shift-rightarrow to increase depth of the sub-items.

Note: pressing alt-shift-righarrow on the first line does not work, because
in that case it wouldn't have an parent item.