On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Andre Poenitz wrote:

> I really did not expect that kind of clear preference of appearance over
> functionality. Well, not the first time I've been proven wrong I guess.]

I guess for many people the problem is that xforms is clunky enough to be
not only ugly beyond redemption, but actually a usability hindrance. For
instance:

- it's nearly impossible to navigate with the keyboard

- font changes easily render dialogs unusable. I have a 1600x1200 screen
and because of this I'm forced to use lyx with nearly unreadable fonts.
Every other app runs with nice fonts at normal physical sizes (but with
lots of pixels for rendering).

- Did I mention the thing was so ugly as to be almost painful to look at?

Anyway, I've been a happy user of Lyx for 5 years and I could live with
the xforms junk for another 5 if need be. Lyx is _that_ good (currently
finishing my dissertation with 1.1.6f4).

But believe me, I'll be one happy camper when xforms is wiped off the face
of the earth. That thing is long overdue for being taken behind the barn
and acquainted with the bright end of a shotgun.

Cheers,

f.