Lars Gullik Bjønnes wrote:
slitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

| John -- has anyone started character styles yet? This is just a wild guess, | but could it be accomplished by a translation to | \begin{\whatever}\begin{\whichever}text to | format\end{\whichever}\end{\whatever}?
| | So maybe in the LyX file, it would look like this:
| | I want character styles
| | \begin{\charstyle{shout}}
| big time
| | \end{\charstyle{shout}}
| , because they're so vital to today's authoring.

or...

I want character styles \shout{big time}, because they're so
vital to today's authoring.

| Then, assuming shout is defined as Largest and Bold, perhaps LyX could | translate the begin to \begin{LARGE}\begin{bfseries} and end to | \end{bfseries}\end{LARGE}
| | Does that look doable to you?

\newcommand{shout}{...}

I want character styles \shout{big time}, because they're so
vital to today's authoring.

I really, really do not want this feature as just a new hack (which
actually would be quite ease), but us to prepare the core of lyx
properly for this...

In terms of code, would it be really different from the toggle-font feature? (speaking as an ignoramus here - my C++ experience didn't get further than "Hello World")

I like the idea of character styles - like almost anyone who does documentation, I frequently write with a roman font, but with keys and menu items in sans-serif and user input in a typewriter font. Can't toggle three ways!

Robin

--
"A free man ought not to learn anything under duress.
Compulsory physical exercise does no harm to the body,

Robin Turner
IDMYO,
Bilkent University
Ankara 06533