On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 03:25:10PM +0800, Franklin wrote:
> I'm a new lyx user, also new to lyx-users mailing list.
> I tried my first lyx documents just now.
>
> I read the Tutorial, it told me to create a new (and first) lyx documents.
> Then, use latex to create dvi files.
>
> I created it, and when I run latex:
> [franklin@franklin lyx]$ latex newfile1.lyx

I don't think the tutorial recommends running LaTeX on a .lyx file.

Maybe it is somehow ambiguous (I am not a nativce speaker), but

 "Run LaTeX to create a .dvi file with View->DVI"

should be read as

 "Select View->Dvi which will run LaTeX in the backgraund and create
  a .dvi file"

Andre'

--
Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security,
will not have, nor do they deserve, either one. (T. Jefferson)