On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 12:37:51AM +0100, Holger Zebner wrote:
> how do I place figures which are included in floats exactly where they
> should be in a text?
> So far, I used to put "!h" in the "extras" box of "Layout |  Document".
> But figures keep appearing somewhere out of context like one or two
> paragraphs later.
>
> With Lyx Version 1.5-fix I got it made after some time but since I have
> upgraded it doesn't work and when I open my old documents the seem to have
> all problems with floats.

It is possible to have floats that don't float:
1. Upgrade to LyX 1.2.3
2. Click with the right mosue button on the float, and select the
"Here, definitely" button.
If you want ALL your float to have this behavior, without changing each float,
then put "H" in the Float placement text box in the document dialog,
and add \usepackage{float} to the preamble.

Note that using non-floating floats is a bad idea.
If, for example, your text fills 70% of the page, and you add a non-floating
float whose height is 50% of the page, then the result will be a page break
that will leave an ugly vertical space on the page.