This appears to have been resolved earlier on this list. However...

Issue is: Fonts are ugly and hard to read in exported pdf.

One reply was to see (lyx 1.1.6fix4)  Help -> Extended Features:
Section 3.3.6.2, i.e., put \usepackage{ae,aecompl} in preamble.

Then someone said that selecting ae fonts (Layout -> Document) should be
all that's needed. No preamble changes.

I replied that this works. It seems I was incorrect.

The only way I can get good looking fonts (and searchable text) in pdf is
by putting \usepackage{ae,aecompl} in the preamble. Note that aecompl is
needed, ae alone will not do it.

Am I missing something here?

--
Steven Homolya
School of Physics and Materials Engineering