Paul,

I think that only changes the color of the display, not what's actually
being printed.  (And is not saved in lyx file, etc.)  The
Preferences->Colors dialog should do this, but doesn't as of 1.3 (xforms).

You can change the screen colors by editing the preferences file.  Most of
the names of things that have colors aren't in the default, though.  If
you can't find them elsewhere, I could send you a copy of mine.

As far as changing actual text colors in the printout, I have no idea,
but would like to know.

James