Konrad Scorciapino wrote:
Hello,

I am trying to run LyX on my old P166, but it gets too slow. So, I was wondering if:

1 - Is there a lighter version of LyX or a lighter program that works just like it?

LyX itself is about as light as you can get - it's LaTeX that eats resources, but you only need that when you preview or export.
2 - Can I convert .rtf to .lyx? There is a rtf editor (Ted) which is pretty light; If that is possible, I can work with it and then convert its files to .lyx later.
Not directly, but I saw a program once that converted RTF to LaTeX. OTOH, RTF has such minimal formatting that it's probably better to convert it to plain text, then redo your formatting in LyX.
3 - Is there any other solution to this problem?
I'd suggest investing in some RAM. CPU speed is not so important, but a decent amount of RAM is essential, unless you want to cook dinner while you're running latex.

Robin

--
"Some guy breaking into a government computer system and wreaking havoc
makes for a more interesting movie plot than some guy writing device

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Univeritesi
Ankara 06533