On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, Paco Cruz wrote:

> Bruce Sass,
> Con fecha martes, 17 de junio de 2003, 19:55:03, escribió:
>
> BS> It is a matter of patience and bells and whistles.  I have KDE 3.1.2
> BS> on a 486-66MHz, once you get passed the startup times and the few
> BS> seconds it takes to redraw a screen it is just fine...
> BS> - Bruce
>
> Please,  excuse  me if this is out of topic, but I am really impressed
> with the fact that a 486-66MHz is running both KDE 3.1.2 and LyX (I
> think it is wonderful).
>
> How  much  RAM are you talking about? I am very, very, very interested
> in loading both linux *and* LyX in low specs machines.

64M, 48M should work (don't expect to run more than an app or two
though), 32M would probably be a too little (for KDE; fluxbox, uwm,
mwm, etc., would be fine).

The problem with a machine this old is that designers may have never
considered it would have this much memory.  e.g., this one seems to
have assumed a 16M max 'cause video is limited to 8-bit color once you
get over 16M).

> I  am  trying to convert a handful of this kind of PCs (plus P I, II
> and  Celerons) from W98 to Linux, but have not found a viable solution
> due to lack of RAM (they only have 32 Mb).

Try a lightweight wm and some utility apps (like tkdesk).  You will
likely lose some bell/whistle functionality but gain stability and
security.

Good luck.

- Bruce