Alexandre asked:
>In other words, how do all you people come up with this stuff? Where
does one
>learn tex and latex and all this miscellaneous stuff? What books, docs,
or
>other reference materials would the gurus out there counsel, for
somebody who
>would like to get on his own two feet on this and save everybody a lot
of
>time? Is the one by Lamport actually useful for anything anymore, given
how
>old it is?

I've a small list of free references on typography and TeX / Latex which
I put together as the beginning of a re-design of my personal web pages:

http://members.aol.com/willadams/books-free-type.html

www.tug.org has some more references, esp. a link to the books list in
the TeX FAQ (which has a run-down on relative merits of different texts
if memory serves).

William