I'm using the SPIE class file (v 2.8) of 16 July 2003.  It's redefining
the reference citation macros in such a way that they collide with
babel, causing failed runs. The error messages vary, depending upon
the age of the TeX distribution. On Debian testing/unstable, I get:

! Missing \endcsname inserted.
<to be read again>
                   \mathsurround
l.13 ...s presented in \cite{2000SPIE.4012...17J}.

This is not a LyX bug.  In the short run however, (i.e. paper was due
two months ago, must have it in by next Tuesday) I need to turn babel
off in the LyX output.

Is there any way of doing this?  There's no language=none option that
I could find.

I'm using 1.3.2, xforms.

Thanks!

Diab
--
Diab Jerius                       Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
                                  60 Garden St, MS 70, Cambridge MA 02138 USA