> I could throw numerous counter examples your way where we made LyX
> 'too clever' and then regretted it. Letting the user be explicit
> about what he does or doesn't want is a good thing IMO.

If we never tried to make LyX more clever to avoid future repentance, then
we would never improve LyX.

In my opinion, Joao's suggestion should be considered.

> It was already been pointed out to you that you can already type
>         x=y
> highlight it and then select Insert->Inline Formula

I knew it, but it was the counterexample to Helge's argument that occurred
to me at that moment. It can be found counterexamples of other categories.