[posted and mailed]

Rich Shepard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:

>   I've read the Users Guide and I've futzed with the Math Panel but I
>   don't
> know how to enter a 3x3 matrix. I _think_ I have the top line OK, but
> I cannot move the cursor down one row for the second line. What I want
> to enter is:
>
>               _             _
>               | 1  1/3  1/2 |
>           M = | 3   1    3  |
>               | 2  1/3   1  |
>               -             -
>
>   Where do I read to learn exactly how to do this?

Hi,

Not sure what the problem is.  You should be able to do the following:

1.  Open the math panel and click the insert matrix button.

2.  Adjust the size to 3x3, adjust the vertical and horizontal alignment
as desired, and click Ok.  That inserts an empty matrix.

3.  You should be seeing 9 empty cells (outlined in blue) in a 3x3
configuration.  You should be able to click into any cell you want, or
use the arrow keys to navigate among cells.

4.  To enclose in brackets, braces or whatever, highlight the whole
matrix and use the appropriate delimiter button from the math panel.

I gather this isn't working for you?  Can you post a click-by-click
description of what you're doing and where it goes south?

-- Paul

Paul A. Rubin                                  Phone:    (517) 432-3509
Department of Management                       Fax:      (517) 432-1111
The Eli Broad Graduate School of Management    E-mail:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Michigan State University                      http://www.msu.edu/~rubin/
East Lansing, MI  48824-1122  (USA)
Mathematicians are like Frenchmen:  whenever you say something to them,
they translate it into their own language, and at once it is something
entirely different.                                    J. W. v. GOETHE