Martijn Brouwer wrote:
> P.S. When will 1.4 arrive and what will it bring us?

* Not any time soon.
* Lots.

The last few releases have concentrated on cleaning up the LyX source
code rather than on supporting a larger subset of LaTeX. Enhancements
have occurred (notably the math editor supports more and more of
AMS-LaTeX) but these improvements are a serendipitous by-product of
the underlying clean-up.

This basic process continues in the 1.4.x release. The difference
however, is where this clean-up is now concentrated. Up to and
including the release on 1.3.x, we moved code out of the core and
into the periphery where it could be cleaned up with minimal impact
on the core itself.

The 1.4.x development cycle has continued to clean up these
peripheries but has also taken the bull by the horns and started the
process of cleaning up the core itself. The result will be a _much_
cleaner code base that may even be understandable. And extendable.

Needless to say, however, changing the core of the program has
introduced many regressions which must be fixed before 1.4.x can be
released to the wider world. I believe that we are on the way back up
to the surface now (it becomes quite hard to make LyX crash ;-) but
we haven't yet started talking about a freeze. Past experience
suggests that feature freezes last a considerable length of time (1-2
months) whilst we indulge in a bug-squashing frenzy.

So, in summary, there _are_ several new pieces of candy on offer but
most of the work continues to be behind the scenes. Is this a good
developent strategy? Yes. Experience suggests that the development of
open source software ususally founders once the principal developer
moves on. Only if the code can be understood by relative newcomers
does it have any chance of a long life. (Witness the huge number of
dead projects on sourceforge.) We have lost one major developer in
the 1.4.x series but have gained two or three new ones. Indeed, I
would suggest that most of the feature enhancements this time around
can be creditted to them. In turn, this suggests that the basic
design of the software is good; the learning curve is not too steep

Phew! I've run out of steam. You'll have to wait for another time
before finding out what the candy is ;-)

--
Angus