I am newbie to LyX and I've I just downloaded the LyX port for Windows
version 1.3.3
I installed also the MiKTeX but when I start lyx I have the following error
message
"LyX wasn't able to find any layout description !" and exits.

Do you find .layout files under ~/share/lyx/layouts? If yes, does the file textclass.lst exists in ~/share/lyx? If not then configure LyX under Edit->Reconfigure. If this is not possible, assure that all users on your PC have the permission to write in the LyX-folder (and in all subfolders).

(If you use Win98 the configuration of LyX won't work.)