Uwe Stöhr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:

>> I am newbie to LyX and I've I just downloaded the LyX port for
>> Windows version 1.3.3
>> I installed also the MiKTeX but when I start lyx I have the following
>> error message
>> "LyX wasn't able to find any layout description !" and exits.
>
> Do you find .layout files under ~/share/lyx/layouts? If yes, does the
> file textclass.lst exists in ~/share/lyx? If not then configure LyX
> under Edit->Reconfigure. If this is not possible, assure that all
> users on your PC have the permission to write in the LyX-folder (and
> in all subfolders).
>
> (If you use Win98 the configuration of LyX won't work.)

Definitely sounds like the configure script failing.  In addition to the
above, a few other things to check out:

1.  Open a DOS prompt in the LyX bin directory and type sed --version.  If
it reports version 3.something, go to
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=23617&package_id=
16429, download sed 4.0.9 (or the latest 4.x release), and install that
version of sed.exe over the one in the bin directory.  Then try running
configure again.

2.  If Edit | Reconfigure still doesn't work (fails to produce a non-empty
textclass.lst file), open a DOS prompt in your document directory, make
sure the LyX bin directory is on your application path (type "echo %PATH%"
to see the path), then type "sh C:/.../share/lyx/configure" (replace the
ellipsis ... with whatever the path to the LyX share folder is) and see if
that gets the configure script to run right.

3.  Once the configuration script runs successfully, make sure that LyX is
using the correct directory as your default document directory, by setting
this in LyX's preference screen.  (I find it's also a good idea to make
sure the shortcut you use to start LyX has the LyX bin directory as its
"Start in:" entry.  In the Target line, you can change "...\lyx.exe" to
"...\lyx.exe -userdir C:\my_document_directory" (changing that last path,
obviously) so that LyX starts with your document directory set.

Good luck!

-- Paul

Paul A. Rubin                                  Phone:    (517) 432-3509
Department of Management                       Fax:      (517) 432-1111
The Eli Broad Graduate School of Management    E-mail:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Michigan State University                      http://www.msu.edu/~rubin/
East Lansing, MI  48824-1122  (USA)
Mathematicians are like Frenchmen:  whenever you say something to them,
they translate it into their own language, and at once it is something
entirely different.                                    J. W. v. GOETHE