My system: Linux RedHat 9, LyX 1.3.4 (with change bar patch - yay!)*
Using book document class with standard defaults

Hi:

I'm back with more newbie questions. (Many thanks for the help with
change bars and manual covers, especially to Guy Hindell for sharing
what he's done with his documentation set.) This list is a lifesaver.
Thanks in advance.

I want to accomplish the following in my technical manuals (under
deadline of course):

- make the running heads upper and lowercase (not all uppercase) and
sans serif font. [remove \MakeUppercase from the book.cls file?]

- make the chapter heads sans serif font (leave the body font as is)
  [I'm not sure how or where to do this.]

- extend the length of the page (I'm outputting to 8.5 x 11 paper) so I
want to make the bottom margin smaller. [How do I do this for the whole
file? ]

I've modified the book.cls file in my local .lyx directory (deleting
\MakeUppercase) and done an Edit-->Reconfigure. The changes are not
showing up. Are these the files I need to change? Do I want to move
them?

I haven't figured out where to set the chapter font yet. Is it in my
local book.cls file? I know these are fairly simple fixes, but I don't
have time to delve into the files at this point, so I'm asking you for
help.

When I have time, I want to carefully modify the book.layout and
book.cls files.(Thank you Guy for your excellent example files.)

Because of this deadline, I'm looking for the quick work around to solve
these problems. Ideas?

* P.S. As soon as this release is out (1-2 weeks), I'll post the RPMs
for the LyX 1.3.4 patch for RedHat 9. It seems to be working great!

Many thanks,
--jane

--
Jane McKean