Hi!  Having followed the advice as best I can, things have
improved but still cannot preview anything, neither dvi nor
pdf previews (2 of the latter) work.  No output to the lyx
screen when doing C-d or selecting dvi from the menu but
the console tells me that a latex file was produced including
the body.  Both kinds of pdf preview tell me that there are
no instructions for previewing pdf.  In neither case are there
error messages on the console, started with "lyx -dbg 3".

For DVI: Does yap work correctly? (Open a .dvi-file with it to test.) If yes, start LyX, go to Edit->Preferences->File Formats->DVI, what is in the fields? It should be Format: dvi, GUI name: DVI, Shortcut: D, Extension: dvi and Viewer: yap. If it is not correct the entries and reconfigure LyX again.
If it won't work anyway, look if the menu File->Export->DVI works.
If it works not, you probably have a LaTeX-installation problem.
If it does, send me the file which is produced by LyX during the configuration.

regards Uwe