On Friday 23 April 2004 4:32 pm, Juan Luis UPSAM wrote:
> Dear angus, rob and luiz and all people here,
> after invoking lyx from command line using -dbg graphics, I
> obtained a list of graphic file types that can be used directly:

[snip list...]

> So till I review slowly Rob Saunders' document, at least my people
> can use graphics mainly in PNG - which is also a good thing, since
> it help to use PNG instead of gif

Have courage, it isn't that hard really!

Here's what I've just written for UserGuide.lyx:

How it works
=========

LyX has the ability to handle literally any graphics format in the
known universe so long as a conversion path from this graphics format
to the target output format can be created. If that sounds a little
obtuse, consider how LyX handles Encapsulated PostScript® figures.
LaTeX provides native support for this format, so LyX needs do
nothing other than use the \includegraphics LaTeX command to insert
the figure in the final document.

To view the figure on the LyX screen, however, some additional work is
required because neither the XForms nor the Qt GUI libraries can load
PostScript® figures themselves. The XForms library can load figures
in the following, widely used graphics formats: bmp, gif, jpeg, pbm,
pgm, ppm, tif and xbm whilst the Qt library can also handle mng, png
and xpm format figures. Thus, LyX must initiate a conversion from eps
to a loadable graphics format.

It does this using the powerful, configurable converters mechanism
exposed in the Converters section of the Edit->Preferences dialog. If
LyX cannot create a conversion path (which might have many steps)
from eps to one of the loadable formats listed above, then it
defaults to the use of ImageMagick's convert utility. If, after all
that, LyX still cannot load the figure, then it'll tell you so with a
message "Error converting to loadable format" in place of an
on-screen view of your figure.  If you're presented with such a
message, then you'll need to augment the list of known converters.

This strategy is used both to generate on-screen views of your image
and when generating the final document. In the latter case, the LaTeX
compiler must be supplied with graphics files in PostScript® format.
Similarly the PDFLaTeX compiler requires files in pdf, png or jpeg
format. LyX will handle the necessary conversions behind the scenes.