When importing text into an OpenOffice document, I suggested to a naïve
user that she export the LyX document as text. She had two problems, both
of which merit attention to LyX's menus, I think.

First, in most programs, "Text" is a file type listed on the save dialog,
not under "Export", which tends to be reserved for non-editable formats
such as PDF. This is certainly the case in most word processors. Hence,
she was confused because there was no option in "Save as" to change the
file type to text.

Secondly, and much easier to fix, she then said "but there's no option to
export as text". She didn't know that ASCII means plain text. I suggest
the menu entry be changed to say "Plain text" or similar, again, in line
with most wordprocessors.

--
http://rrt.sc3d.org/ | sad, a.  the efforts of musical debutantes (Bierce)