John Levon wrote:
On Sun, Apr 25, 2004 at 10:25:26PM +0200, Reuben Thomas wrote:

First, in most programs, "Text" is a file type listed on the save dialog,
not under "Export", which tends to be reserved for non-editable formats
such as PDF. This is certainly the case in most word processors. Hence,
she was confused because there was no option in "Save as" to change the
file type to text.

I've wanted this for a while.

Secondly, and much easier to fix, she then said "but there's no option to
export as text". She didn't know that ASCII means plain text. I suggest
the menu entry be changed to say "Plain text" or similar, again, in line
with most wordprocessors.

"Plain Text" is a good idea. File a bug.

Reluctantly, I agree. These days knowing what ASCII means is equivalent to knowing what a bulletin board is, or having worn flared trousers in the 1970s.

Robin

--
"If the lion could speak, we would not understand it."
- Wittgenstein

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Universitesi