On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 12:49:06 -0300
Beny Spira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > So, I understand that the document _did_ show correctly at your home,
> > but was modified when you sent it back to your work. Is that correct?
> > Or was it already missing characters when you worked on it at home?
> >
> > If you lost the characters while sending the document, how did you
> > send it? By FTP? If so, did you enable BINARY transmission?
> >
> > John
> >

> Hi John
> The characters disappeared when the document was sent as an attachment
> by e-mail from home to work. There was no problem when the same document
> was sent before by e-mail from work to home. As Marc has already pointed
> out, it seems that there is a problem with the locales, but I do not
> know how to fix it. I do this kind of transfer (by e-mail) all the time
> with other files (.doc, .sxw, .txt etc...), and it never happened
> before. Any suggestions?
> Beny

Some programs code special characters, such as with accents, in such a
way they _can_ be sent as 7-bit codes (required for transmission over the
e-mail system). Others, such as LyX, put the 8-bit ASCII codes in their
files. In such a case, it is necessary to indicate to the mail program
that this is, in fact, a binary file. Some e-mail program code everything
as mime64, and they do not have problems.

I believe this can be automated, by editing /etc/mime.conf - maybe someone
can confirm this.

John