Maarten D. de Jong wrote:

>>lyx 1.3.4 will not compile with g++ 3.4 which was released some time
>>after lyx 1.3.4. The lyx 1.3 branch in the cvs tree does compile
>>with g++ 3.4, so lyx 1.3.5 will be ok in this regard.
>
> Aahhh... Thanks for that information, I was afraid I had installed
> the compiler wrong or something equally gruesome. Although I cannot
> help but wonder what exactly causes such incompatibility
> problems---you'd think C++ is C++. To a large extent, anyway.

The standard was released in 1998, but I don't think that *any* C++
compilers are 100% conformant. The major players (includes gcc) are
all striving to achieve conformance however, so each new release
tends to reject code that used to compile under the older, less
compliant version.

>>lyx 1.3.4 does compile with g++ 2.95, so there is hope.
>
> *Bright red face*. Yes, it did indeed compile. Provided, of course,
> that the versions of C++-preprocessor and C++-compiler match and are
> equal to 2.95.3. And not, as it was with me, different. You're
> asking for trouble in such a situation...
>
> Thanks for the input, it was much appreciated.

Not at all. I have two questions of my own:

* what platform are you compiling on?
* what is the native compiler for this platform? Eg, on Fedora 1 the
native compiler is g++ 3.3.2. I ask because if you use something
other than the native c++ compiler then you'll have trouble linking
against libraries of c++ code. In your case, linking to the XForms
library you have nothing to worry about because XForms is written in
C. If, however, you had tried to compile the Qt version of lyx then
you would have experienced probelms at link time if the library and
lyx were compiled with different compilers. Name mangling differs
from one compiler to the next.

Just things to be aware of.

--
Angus