* what platform are you compiling on?

It used to be a Linux Slackware 8.1-setup, but in the past few years I've bolted and added so much extras to the system I have lost track of what exactly is going on in its murky depths. I really need to upgrade, but that is something for when I complete my thesis. I do know at the core it is Linux 2.4.18, with XFree86 4.2.0.

* what is the native compiler for this platform? Eg, on Fedora 1 the
native compiler is g++ 3.3.2. I ask because if you use something
other than the native c++ compiler then you'll have trouble linking
against libraries of c++ code. In your case, linking to the XForms
library you have nothing to worry about because XForms is written in
C. If, however, you had tried to compile the Qt version of lyx then
you would have experienced probelms at link time if the library and
lyx were compiled with different compilers. Name mangling differs
from one compiler to the next.

Yes, I already spotted a post from your hand in the mailing list archives which illustrated this problem. My native compiler is 2.95.3, and most libraries are based on that compiler. Now I mostly use C (and no KDE or Gnome---those were too much hassle to setup at the time I installed the original distribution), and were it not for a program which I really need to use demanding that I upgrade to gcc 3.x, I would still be using 2.95.3. It is fairly easy to switch compilers though, and this episode convinced me to keep the older compiler on the system for a good while longer.

Kind regards,
Maarten