Angus> Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote: Shrug. I expect a class that
Angus> redefines the default font to
>> also Angus> redefine the default elsewhere too. Is that so
>> unreasonable?
>>
>> Well, roman in LaTeX world means serif (if I understand correctly).
>> It does not mean default. The fact that most classes use roman as
>> default font is kind of irrelevant.
>>
>> \defaultfont anlways select the default font, OTOH.

Angus> Of course I can define a math macro

Angus> \newcommand{\mathtext}[1]{\mathsf{#1}}

Angus> and use it to separate markup from input, but is that really
Angus> what I'm expected to do here?
>>  How do you use this typically?

Angus> D_{\mathrm{eff}}=D_{\mathrm{mol}}\frac{A_{\mathrm{central\:
Angus> duct}}}{A_{\mathrm{whole}}}\]

Isn't amsmath' \text what you need here (or \mbox, but it will not set
the size correctly). Normal text should not use mathrm, in any case.

JMarc