Rob S wrote:

Hi Colin;

You may want to have a look here for starters:

http://wiki.lyx.org/pmwiki.php/LyX/WindowsSetup

I will, thanks.

Colin W.

Following the advice on the LyX web page, I've downloaded and

installed

LyX, ImageMagick and MikText.  It's not yet clear how all of this fits
together or how the directories are best configured.  I have:

Program Files
Lyx
Docs various downloaded docs
Imagemagick
localtexmf
lyx
bin
lib
man
share
tmp
Tex
Files newfileX.lyx, working files etc.

One thing I would recommend is re-installing all directly onto C:\

My structure on XP is

C: Progs
Lyx
Miktex
Imagemagick

For the three you have already installed
Miktex will place itself in the $Path$ on installation but you will need
to add the image magick Bin directory manually. Lyx does not need a Path
entry (someone will correct me if I'm wrong on that!)

I've made a start with the Tutorial, where the author wishes to

convince

us that LaTEX is the greatest thing since sliced bread.  There is
mention of yellow stickers, which is a bit misleading as, in the
tutorial, the stickers are not yellow.

Ah success!  I've printed my first page.

I attempted to view the Tutorial, with view > PDF (dvipdfm). There

was

You will need a couple of downloads from there which will improve the
search for windoze .exes like AcroRd32.exe which at the moment will not
be found.

Currency.lyx discusses the elegance of various Euro symbols and

suggests

some sources, but doesn't give the full URL or tell us where to store
the downloaded file.

Next, I took a look at the Customization Help document. It mentions
LyXDir, which I have, and Tools > Preferences. I don't have Tools on

my

menu, but I do have Edit > Preferences,  Is this the same thing?

Of the directories listed, I have all that are listed, although I have
no UserDir. Perhaps this comes into play with the -userdir command

line

switch.

Attempting to read the examples "chess" and "Foils", I get "unknown
textclass", but the examples seem to load OK.

I have a LyX text under way, but have not yet found how to use the

spell

checker (preferable en-GB).

Download the spelling files from the Lyx.org site and ensure you retain the file structure which the files are packed in.

I would welcome any suggestions or pointers as to how I can sort out
these things.

Most of the other issues are addressed on the above link.

Get back to me off list for some of the finer points if you wish.

Rob S