Dear List,

I am a long time lyx user but totally new to sgml. I am writting a
user's manual and decide to use sgml for its better style. I encountered
several problems:

1. For whatever text in code and verbatim environment, I see [[CDATA etc
   in ps/pdf/html output. The tex file exported looks like:

     \begin{verbatim}
     <![CDATA[>>> print a=5
     ]]>
     \end{verbatim}

   and the lyx code is (I am using include but plan text has the same
   problem)

     \begin_inset Include \verbatiminput*{b.txt}
      preview false

      \end_inset

2. no mathematical formula. For a displayed formula \sin \alpha^2, the
   generated latex code is

     {$<$}{[}CDATA{[}$\backslash$sin$\backslash$alpha\^{}$\{$2$\}$
      sin
       alpha  2

3. My understanding (I could not find any lyx sgml manual) is that SGML
   environment is for plain sgml code. However, when I input
   <author>someone else</author> in SGML enviroment, I get

     &lt;author&gt;someone else&lt;/author&gt;

   in sgml export.

4. I would like to use a batch file to generate ps/pdf/html files but
   could not figure out what exactly the commands to use. What are the
   routes of lyx to generate files?
   lyx->(sgml?)->tex->dvi->ps
   lyx->sgml->tex->pdf
   lyx->sgml->pdf?
   lyx->tex->html
   lyx->sgml->html?

5. I am using a SGML article style with standard title/date/author etc
   and I can at least get some output. When I use docbook SGML style, I
   get a bunch of error messages like

   % Using catalogs: /etc/sgml/sgml-docbook-4.1-1.0-17.cat
   Using stylesheet:
   /usr/share/sgml/docbook/utils-0.6.12/docbook-utils.dsl#print
   Working on: /tmp/lyx_tmpdir5097uuHXpm/lyx_tmpbuf1/userGuide.sgml
   jade:/tmp/lyx_tmpdir5097uuHXpm/lyx_tmpbuf1/userGuide.sgml:13:0:E:
   character data is not allowed here
   jade:/tmp/lyx_tmpdir5097uuHXpm/lyx_tmpbuf1/userGuide.sgml:14:10:E:
   end tag for"AUTHOR" which is not finished

   I have no idea at all what is going on.

I am using a standard redhat 9 box with the following apt-get'ed
packages

lyx-1.3.5
linuxdoc-tools-0.9.20-8
openjade-1.3.1-12
sgml-common-0.6.3-14
jadetex-3.12-9
docbook-style-dsssl-1.76-8
docbook-utils-0.6.12-5
... what else?

lyx reconfigure says:

+checking for linuxdoc class linuxdoc...  yes
+checking for docbook  class docbook-book...  yes
+checking for docbook  class docbook-chapter...  yes
+checking for docbook  class docbook-section...  yes
+checking for docbook  class docbook...  yes

Many thanks in advance.

--
Bo Peng