On Wed, 29 Dec 2004, Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>
> > An example is from the Lyx User's Guide when printed at 6"x9":
> >
> > 14CHAPTER 2. LyX SETUP AND SUPPORTING APPLICATIONS
>
> > Is the best idea to fix the chapter name? Or could the header be improved
> > to only show the first two words for example? Any ideas?
>
>    AFAIK, there are two options: short titles or fancy headers. I've used
> both short titles and shortening the chapter or section name.

I am trying to figure out how to get it so the chapter name and number is
only on the left even pages and the section name and number is on the
right side of the odd pages.

\fancyhead[RO]{\slshape \thesection}
\fancyhead[RE]{}
\fancyhead[LE]{\slshape \thechapter}
\fancyhead[LO]{}

The above works (in my preamble) to show numbers, but I don't have the
actual chapter name.

When I try to define a \chaptermarker, then both become blank. I tried
several ideas; here is one I tried:

\renewcommand{\chaptermark}[1]{%
 \markboth{\chaptername
\ \thechapter.\ #1{}}

I am trying to figure this out from reading fancyhdr.dvi (Dec. 16, 2002)
document.

For example, I want on left side of even page:

  Chapter 2. LyX Setup and Supporting Applications

And I want on the right side of odd page:

  Section 2.3 Setting up the X Keyboard

Any assistance would be appreciated.

 Jeremy C. Reed

                         BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links