Robert;

Robert Orr wrote:
I have to comment that the exact method on the wiki
page didn't work for me.

Even following the tips for "If LyX's configuration
fails or was incomplete" I could never get LyX
configure to complete without errors. I consistently
got hung up with a SED error

sed: file chkconfig.sed line 1: Unknown option to 's'

I have just downloaded and installed SED 4.12.exe without a problem. The configure script runs ok with this version.

I have SED installed in C:\GnuWin32\bin with this bin directory in my PATH

Open a command prompt and try

SED --version

What version is found?  Have you renamed the old version packaged with Lyx?

and could never get past it, despite installing
various versions of GNUSED. I think there is
something not quite right regarding that part of the
wiki page. The part about what to do with "install the latest version of sed from the sed.exe
setup file, which can be found at sourceforge....." It seems very unclear about exactly what one is supposed to do there.

OK - will have a look

In regards to installing the other packages, like
ghostview and acroread, I found that (I have Cygwin on
my XP box) creating soft links ln -s gswin32.exe
gs.exe helped to get the script to recognize these
programs when doing the LyX configure. If you make
copies of these programs and rename them to what LyX
is looking for, that also works to allow LyX to find
them. Essentially the LyX script is looking for the
*nix version of these programs an doesn't check
properly for the win32 versions. I could be wrong
about it, but that is the way it seemed to me. So
bottom line, your LyX configure will probably go
better if you rename those programs so that LyX can
find them.

There is a configure script on the wiki which picks up AcroRd32.exe and gswin32.exe providing these are in your PATH.

Find it here (from the section titled "fine tunning"):

http://wiki.lyx.org/uploads/uploads/LyX/configure

(modify it need be).

Also: It may be over the top but at least works - I have ensured ALL my related lyx progs have the folders holding the .exe files in my PATH before any Windoze files.

I'm eagerly awaiting a cleaner install package.

For the record, I put my MikTex, Ghostview,
Ghostscript, Imagemagic, and AdobeReader in the top
level at C:\
Again. Ensure they are in your PATH so that Lyx can find them. Check each at a command prompt to be sure.

Rob S