Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

> Charles> Great. I think that Reconfigure and Preferences should be in
> Charles> a Configuration Menu and not in the Tools Menu.
>
> But that would mean one more menu for just two entries...

Previous situations (configuration in either Edit or Option menus) was
rather illogical and caused by the fact that the average screen was much
smaller than today. Menu structure have to redesigned to the fact that we
have more horizontal space to put messages.
There are no usability reasons that I can think of to limit the number of
first level menu's items and cram them on the left side of the screen. They
are some research on the web on how fast humans (and maybe chimps) find the
right node on a tree depending on the number of levels of the tree, I
should try to find it back for you. The result was more or less that the
flater the tree was the faster humans can find an item. The explanation
must be that the brain has good geometrical memory (this object is
somewhere on the right, in the middle) but that logical classifications are
harder to memorize : to find the fish, I must first open the animal box...
But, if you have played Memory with your son, you know all that.

I guess also that in the Configuration Menu, a third option would be quickly
added : 'Plugins' :-)

> I have to say I do not like it much ;)

The first thing to do when you start a LaTeX document is to choose the right
class. I think the current situation that default to article without saying
anything to the user and hides the class information two level deep in the
menu is not very educative for a LaTeX beginner.

Cheers,
Charles
--
http://www.kde-france.org