On Wednesday 26 January 2005 10:59 am, Stephen Buonopane wrote:
> > Intuitively, I doubt LyX would make me create a label for every float
> > -- the
> > float's already there, so I'd think that would be enough.
>
> AFAIK, you must manually create a label for each float. I think
> technically the label is associated with the caption.

Thanks Stephen,

OK, now I'm ready to ask for my first feature request since I asked for
character styles in 2001. We need some sort of automatic labelling so that
every part, chapter, section, subsection, subsubsection, and float in the
document. Here's why...

Adding a label to every float is a mere inconvenience. But keeping track of
all those labels is a gargantuan task because labels are scoped document
wide. Imagine a programming language with no local variables. How ugly is
that to maintain?

Perhaps I could preface each label with some code indicating its chapter. But
what code? Chapter numbers change with the addition of a chapter. Entire
chapter names are big and ugly, and can change.

If these ready made labels cannot be accommodated, then at least a way of
performing local scoping for intra chapter references, as well as global
scoping for interchapter references.

Thanks

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author:
   * Universal Troubleshooting Process courseware
   * Troubleshooting Techniques of the Successful Technologist
   * Rapid Learning: Secret Weapon of the Successful Technologist
Webmaster
   * Troubleshooters.Com
   * http://www.troubleshooters.com