Angus Leeming wrote:
Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

Another guess is that lyx2lyx fails to run. What version of LyX for
windows are you using? 1.3.5 has a bug that prevents lyx2lyx from running (it is invoked directly, and windows does not guess that it
is a python script, since it does not have a .py extension).

Windows users, please correct me if I am wrong.

I understand that that wouldn't work even if it had a .py extension. That mechanism is triggered only if you click on the blighter or such like. Apparently. The only sure fire way to get things working is to invoke it as "python <path to>/lyx2lyx".

Actually, at least in XP (and, presumably, Win2003), if the association for the "py" file extension is correct, running foo.py from the command line works fine, as does eg system("foo.py"). I didn't bother testing OS functions like CreateProcess, or check the source to see how lyx2lyx is being run. It's a bit moot as long as lyx2lyx doesn't have an extension.

In older versions of Windows, you would have had to use the "start"
command to have the "associated program" (python.exe in this case)
executed for a *.py file, IIRC; just typing the name at the command
prompt wouldn't have done it.

I tried playing around with various combinations of Windows "shortcuts"
and Interix symbolic and hard links, but couldn't find one that would
pick the right associated program for a file without an extension.

--
Michael Wojcik