On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 06:25:42PM +0100, Nicolas Ferré wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some years ago, as a PhD student, I decided to learn LaTeX to be able to
> write scientific stuff directly on my workstation. A few time later, I
> found LyX and I am using it now for the last 5 years.
>
> Now that I am on the other side (the teaching one), I decided to share
> my enthusiasm with students. Like I know some of the LyX users have very
> little knowledge of LaTeX, I am confused: shall I start teach LaTeX or LyX ?
>
> Any opinion or experience is welcomed.

I would go with LyX initially.  Several reasons come to mind for this
approach.

First, the students will immediately have positve feedback, both visually
and in printed results, with little or no need for the underlying
LaTeX.

This would allow the introduction of LaTeX in the form of ERT in
planned stages--determine a good example where it is needed and lead
them into its use.

While I don't know LaTeX much at all, it seems fairly obvious that its
direct use up front would be more disenchanting to those less inclined
to move away from a GUI format.  As the usefulness and frank beauty of
its results (via LyX) become more apparent, though, people will be more
easily led into the LaTeX end.  People are very used to visual feedback
on computers, within apps, and LaTeX doesn't do that without effort
that is unusual compared with other approaches to document creation.
Remember that it's a "sell job."   ;-)

Additionally, I suggest that you let the students create documents
using both LyX and whatever app they choose, and compare them side by
side.  Show them some of your own and allow them to recreate those to
see what the differneces are in the writing process.  Be sure you
include mathematical formulae!  :)

Lastly, be sure they have any helper apps set up to maximize the ease
of said feedback.  An example of this: I have gv set up to watch the
file it's displaying, so an update of my document is shown immediately
on a ctrl-shift-T, with no need to search for the same place in the
document as would be the case with a ctrl-T.

HTH,

Kenward
(also a professor, at a community college)
--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,