Juergen Spitzmueller writes:
> AFAIK, it's a decision by design. LaTeX uses "rubber lengths", i.e. it
> shrinks and extracts the vertical spaces (between paragraphs, after and
> before the headings an so on) to fill the page consistently. This
> results in a quite "harmonic" page layout, but makes
> "Registerhaltigkeit" impossible. There might be other reasons too,
> maybe even technical restrictions, but I'm not sure.

This strikes me as a sort of "grid alignment" based on the
leading/linespacing of the body text. Is this commonly done?

Looking through a page of my Langenscheidt dictionary I see that lines on
both sides are aligned, but this is maybe because the body text is
continuous; looking at my Oxford Style Manual (happens to be sitting next
to the dict) I see that this is not the case. But at the top and bottom
of each page every thing aligns properly. This intuitively seems
sufficient to me, hence my question as to frequency.

(BTW, thanks for explaining this.)

--
Kevin Pfeiffer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Tiros-Translations