I've been using my Hebrew name in the footer of my works for a while by
inserting this in the preamble:

\begin_preamble
\fancyfoot[R]{\inputencoding{cp1255} my name in hebrew \L{a number}}
\end_preamble

now I've converted my system (Gentoo Linux) to use unicode, and I can't use
hebrew anymore in the preamble. My keyboard of course does not input
cp1255, and latex doesn't know what \inputencoding{utf8} (or any other
variant).

I've seen some LaTeX packages that are supposed to add unicode functionality
some way or another, but my impression was that this is all somewhat
experimental. So I'm asking for your opinion and experience: what should I
do to have utf8 input in the preamble?

Thanks,
Yosef