Steve Litt wrote:
> I think a person should use Word (or in my case OpenOffice) for most
> stuff. If it's under 10,000 words, LyX is a hassle unless you're willing
> to accept ALL LyX's defaults. Here's why...

I would respectfully disagree with my honorable colleague from Florida :-)
Steve, you used just one of many possible reasons why not to use Word
(because, it is the one where you are most invested in). Of course, it is
not about length at all -- Word can easily work with 10MB files if
necessary -- but about structural elements like ToC, cross-references,
etc., where Word's instability goes into author's way. However, there are
other factors where Word's inadequacy shows up -- somebody mentioned
mathematics, I would add missing support for BibTeX (don't even think about
selling me _the current_ bibliographic support in OOo), and there are many
others.

Moreover, Steve (as self-publishing author) assumes that people _need_ to
work with typography. I am afraid that it is prejudice based on the fact
that M$ Word/WordPerfect/OOo mixed together authoring and typesetting. LyX
doesn't do it (although you can tweak layout endlessly of course) and I
think that it is The Right Thing(TM) to do. IMHO most people don't (and
should not) care about their layout at all, and standard layout of LaTeX
classes (or maybe their improved version from Koma-script) is more than
adequate for them. Who really cares that the attached document looks as it
does?

Therefore, my conclusion is just opposite -- use LyX for everything and only
in the rare cases when you need .doc document, or where you really need to
tweak layout more use OOo (or maybe Scribus?).

Matěj

--
Matej Cepl, http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej

Only two of my personalities are schizophrenic, but one of them
is paranoid and the other one is out to get him.