Hum...

This looks to me like another Holy War.

Let me add my little bit of flame.  To give everyone his due, let me
say that I also despise MSW*rd, precisely because I know how to use it
(I used to work with it as the formatter of a couple of tiny little
journals, and its most recent feat is that the freaky thing just ate
all the footnotes of my dissertation).  That's why I've been wondering
in the LaTeX world for a while.  Now that LyX seems to be reaching more
portability, I came back to use it as a GUI for my LaTeX documents.

If you want to write letters, fliers, and the like, stuck to WordPad,
if you're tied to the WinWorld for some reason (like your
employer/school commitments).  Writing this sort of things with MSW*rd
OR LyX seems to me like trying to shoot down flies with a bazooka.  For
anything more complex (reports, books, journals, directories...),
LyX/LaTeX is the choice, for an awful lot of reasons (price,
portability, stability, even technical support ;-)...

But remember, fellows: all software sucks, all hardware sucks...