Hello, everybody.

I'm paying my once-per-year visit to ms windows to see what's up. Today I'm wondering if I really have to install MikTeX when I already have a working latex.. I have a full cygwin install and latex works in there. I can process latex files from Texmacs, for example. Texmacs is distributed as a Cygwin package and it runs in their X server just fine. That X server is about 100 times better than it was the last time I tried it out, incidentally.

I installed ImageMagik, ghostscript for windows (also have ghostscript in cygwin), and the other windows lyx prerequisites. When I run lyx reconfigure, the output in the terminal it says it can't use latex. I don't understand it because I have put c:\cygwin\bin on the path and, in the terminal (either cygwin terminal or dos command shell) I can type "which latex" and it points to the right spot.

Has anybody mastered this one?

-- Paul E. Johnson email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Dept. of Political Science http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn 1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504 University of Kansas Office: (785) 864-9086 Lawrence, Kansas 66044-3177 FAX: (785) 864-5700