Hello LYX people.
I'd be very greatful for a few pointers on how to do the following-
bearing in mind that I'm an advanced technical idiot, and have been
using Lyx for just 8 hours! Nevertheless, I'm sure it must be possible.
This is likely to be quite a long post- apologies in advance!
I write educational material; and the material in its published form
comes in three separate bits: the students' book, the teacher's book,
and the CD. In the past I've had to write each separately, in separate
files, and keeping it all together and cross referencing it is a
nightmare. It would be much easier to write it all together, in one
file, and then have the software separate it out when it is all finished.
The basic element of everything is the exercise. The Students' Book is
composed of a large number of exercises, organised into Units. Each
exercise has 1)an introduction which may be in stages, and 2) a task.
Each exercise has corrisponding elements in the teacher's book: the
teacher's book elements are 1) set-up instructions 2) solutions to the
task and 3) follow up instructions. Some of the exercises also have a
script - as in filmscript - of the material on the CD.

What I'd like to be able to do is write all the elements for each
exercise at the same time in the same file, defining them as "students
book", "teachers book" "CD stuff" as I go, so that everything is
checkable as I write it, and is co-ordinated. Then, when I come to print
it, to have the software automatically understand where the elements go,
and print it to the right file so that I end up with 4 files: the
master, the students book, the teachers book and the CD script. All
properly cross-reefernced.

Am I asking for too much?  Can it be done, and how?

Thanks for your time and help,

Richard Brown