Hi,
I have finished my PhD thesis (Many thanks to all contributers to LyX).
When I went with my postscript file to the printer we found that the
resolution of the fonts was too small.

It turned out that I had the standard EC bitmap fonts with a resolution
of 600dpi.

After a day playing with latex and dvips I have now five versions of my
thesis:
1) With low resolution bitmap fonts
2) With higher resolution bitmap fonts (by defining another printer for
dvips)
3) With scalable CM (bluesky) fonts. For this I had to swith off T1
encoding
4) With scalable CM fonts and T1 encoding using the ae package
5) With scalable lmodern fonts

I have a few questions:
With Version 3-5, I cannot use large, bold, smallcaps font. Latex uses
the default font instead. I have worked around it by switching to large
small caps. Is there a way to get this combination of font attributes?

- Am I correct when I say that lmodern is to EC fonts what bluesky is to
CM?
- Why is ae considered bad? Because it is a pseudofont that performs
tricks to make accented glyphs?

I have concluded that lmfonts are the way to go. I only found this after
nearly a day searching internet, an experimentning. I think that LyX
should automatically load lmodern whan T1 encoding is used and the fonts
are available.

Bye,

Martijn Brouwer