Georg Baum wrote:

> Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:
>
>> I remember a mail mentioning to use something like
>> LANG=  ...
>> before starting Lyx
>> but can?t find it.
>
> That is probably your problem. It should work if you start lyx via
>
> LANG=de_DE lyx
>
> SuSE 9.2 has LANG=de_DE.UTF-8, and that is not really supported by LyX.

Read that as "Not supported at all by LyX".

A brief word of explanation for what is going wrong. Hope it's
understandable:

What is happening is that the Qt library is using the LANG variable to
enable it to decipher the char* strings that are passed to it by LyX. LyX
currently has no multibyte character support at all and so works
internally with the ISO-8859-1 locale (on a German document). Passing a
char* string encoded in ISO-8859-1 to a function that things it's
receiving a string encoded in the entirely different UTF-8 results in the
weird problems you are seeing in the Search dialog and the menus.

The only thing we have direct control over is the main LyX screen itself.
Everything else belongs to Qt.

--
Angus