For a change of pace, I offer information of potential use to others rather
than asking for help. :-)

  I'm writing the User Manual for my fuzzy system modeling software and need
to illustrate the application's GUI screens in the text. Well, The GIMP is
great for generating a high-quality .jpg, but this format doesn't play nice
with LyX or LaTeX.

  Yesterday I rummaged around the corners of the Web and disovered a great
tool called "jpeg2ps". I changed the default paper size from A4 to letter in
the Makefile and it built just fine. I put the executable in /usr/local/bin
and it works really well.

  This tool translates the header from .jpg to either .ps or .eps; I used the
latter. It keeps the compressed image data the same, just wraps the header so
it looks and feels like an encapsulated PostScript file. LyX happily accepted
it and it displays well.

  So, in case I'm not the last to learn of this tool, I hope that it proves
useful to others out there who need to put screen dumps into a LyX/LaTeX
document.

Rich

--
Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President     |  Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM) |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"