Gustavo Guerra wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Geoffrey Lloyd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
Sent: Monday, August 15, 2005 4:05 PM
Subject: Re: Problem viewing PDFs

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gustavo Guerra" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
Sent: Monday, August 15, 2005 4:02 PM
Subject: Problem viewing PDFs

Hi there

I just installed LyX 1.3.6 for Windows.
When I select View->PDF (any of the three versions), acrobat reader gives an error saying that it can't open the document. The file is generated in the
temp dir, but probably the path is being passed wrong. How can I fix it?
Thanks

Best regards,
Gustavo Guerra

PS: With this new instaler, I still have to install the fonts given on the
wiki site(ftp://ftp.lyx.org/pub/lyx/contrib/BaKoMa4LyX.zip), or does the
installer include them.

Firstly the fonts, yes you do have to install them seperately.

Secondly with the pdf problem. Is Acrobat open at the time, if so close it, then select view pdf.

Yes, closing acrobat first solves the problem. Thanks.
It's still a weird behaviour, though, having to keep closing acrobat. Is it a bug in acrobat?

Best Regards,
Gustavo Guerra

Windows does not handle pipes very well, certainly not as well as Unix and its derivatives do. I'm inclined to blame Windows rather than Acrobat Reader.

There's a workaround of sorts. Manually edit your preferences file (should be in C:\Documents and Settings\<your login id>\Application Data\lyx), adding the following line:

\custom_export_command "acrord32 $$FName"

This assumes that you have the path to Acrobat Reader on LyX's path prefix. Close and restart LyX if it is open when you make the change. Now instead of using View->PDF (or either of the PDF alternatives), use File->Export->Custom, pick the PDF format you want, and click ok. The export command should already be filled in. For whatever reason, this can display the document in an already running copy of Acrobat Reader.

One thing this does not fix: there is no way to use View->Update->PDF to view changes while the previous version of the document is open in Reader. Again, I think the fault lies with Windows: while you're displaying the previous version, Windows puts a read lock on the file in the temp directory, so the updated version (which uses the same file name) cannot overwrite it.

Paul