Jim Osborn wrote:

I can't seem to find a way to typeset the following text correctly:

"The word was `foo,'" he said.

The default result is:
This is easy in lyx-1.4, where you do this:
Set the quoting style to double qoutes.  You probably have that already.
Then write the sentence. Use "insert->special character->single quote"
when you need a single quote for the inner citation.  Correct spacing
is added as needed, at least that happende for me with this sort
of quoting style:  «The word was <foo> » he said.

It is also possible (but cumbersome) in lyx 1.3:
Set quoting style to double qoutes. Write everything, but skip
the single quotes.  Change quoting style to single quotes.
(That won't affect the existing double quotes in there.)
Now type the single quotes.  Then, change the style back if you need.

The spacing should be correct too.  If it isn't note that both
lyx 1.3 and lyx 1.4 have "small spaces" in the insert menu.

Helge Hafting