Stephen Harris wrote:

To: "Lyx Contribute" <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
Sent: Friday, October 21, 2005 1:23 PM
Subject: No one answered a simple topic :(

I just wanna know:
What's worth to use, PDF (dvipdfm) or PDF (pdflatex)? And why?
--

It depends on what type of figures are in the document.

http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/help/faqs/latex/conversions.shtml

Also, if you embed pgf commands in your document to produce graphics, I'm pretty sure you have to use pdflatex (they won't appear in DVI output, or at least not with any semblance to what you intended).

My impression is that there are nontrivial size differences among the outputs from various methods, in those cases where all the methods are capable of generating the right output. I'm not positive about that, though (and don't recall which produces the smallest files).

Paul