Hi,

Through the wonders of wine, I've managed to get some figures from an old
excel sheet added into a lyx file as floats, but need to add symbol
definitions in the caption. I've found most of the symbols listed as part of
the ifsym font in the 'comprehensive list of LATEX fonts' from CTAN, but
can't get them to work. For example, I need a filled triangle but adding
\FilledTriangleUp as ERT gives an error:

Undefined control sequence.
 \FilledTriangleUp

I tried adding \usepackage{ifsym} in the preamamble, and I guess you'll not be
surprised to hear that I get another error:
LaTeX Error: File `ifsym.sty' not found.
 \usepackage
                {babel}^^M
*** (cannot \read from terminal in nonstop modes)

So I'm guessing that I need to install another font. I've found ifsym at CTAN:
ftp://tug.ctan.org/pub/tex-archive/fonts/ifsym/

but have no idea what to do with it!

I've been looking round the archives/google/CTAN, and have found the rather
intimidating (103 pages) of 'the font installation guide':
ftp://tug.ctan.org/pub/tex-archive/info/Type1fonts/fontinstallationguide/fontinstallationguide.pdf

and some information in the TEX FAQ:
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=instfont

which goes right over my head! Do I need to go through all this with Lyx, or
can someone point me in the right direction please?

I'm using Lyx1.3.5 installed from rpm on mandrake10.1...

Thanks very much,

Dave